Seven New York-based nonprofits have been recognized for innovative management practices in governance, financial management, communications, fundraising and advocacy as part of Nonprofit New York’s 2020 Nonprofit Excellence Awards.
Global Kids was selected as the Overall Management Excellence Award Winner. Runners-up were Chicken & Egg Pictures and Exalt Youth, with another four nonprofits specially recognized.
The seven organizations will be celebrated at Nonprofit New York’s virtual 2020 Best Nonprofit Conference, now in its 14th year, on Dec. 7-8.
The overall winner receives a $30,000 prize and a scholarship to the Columbia Business School Executive Education Programs in Social Enterprise for nonprofit leaders. The two runners-up receive a $10,000 prize and scholarship, and each specially recognized organization will receive a scholarship.
The winner, runners-up, and specially recognized organizations were judged by an expert Selection Committee made up of 37 people who evaluated the applicants and shared tailored feedback and expertise with applicants throughout the awards program. For the first time ever, the awards process — from application to selection — was completed entirely online.
Special recognition recipients are:
- Chicken & Egg Pictures supports women nonfiction filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change. The Brooklyn-based organization was recognized for their practices in communications because of their culture of feedback and highly effective, recognizable brand. It also was recognized for practices in fundraising for their cultivation plan that engages donors year-round.
- Exalt Youth (exalt) was recognized for their practices in planning and evaluation because they regularly track, measure, evaluate and report on defined goals through transparent, organization-wide commitment to accountability, legal compliance, effectiveness and ethical behavior. The organization catalyzes a transformation in the way their participants THINK, which is a necessary precursor to substantive and long-term behavior change.
- DREAM, formerly Harlem RBI, uses the power of teams to inspire youth to recognize their potential and realize their dreams. The organization was recognized in the area of technology and data use for their practices and clear commitment to technology as a way to support strategy.
- Good Call is a free 24/7 emergency hotline that connects people who are arrested with a free lawyer and their loved ones. The nonprofit was recognized for their practices in advocacy and strategic alliances for their innovative and strategic approach to relationship building that effectively serves constituents. They are also recognized for their practices in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for their inclusive decision making and their management practices centered on anti-oppression.
- Partnership with Children supports the most vulnerable children in overcoming the stress of growing up in poverty. They are recognized for their practices in financial management for their collaborative budget process and scenario planning. Partnership with Children is also recognized for their practices in human resources for their commitment to preserving their staff during the crisis and inclusive talent management approach that focuses on staff on all levels.
- Trail Blazers creates a world where all people have opportunities to go outside and grow within. The Brooklyn-based nonprofit was recognized for their practices in governance because of their online board member portal and their strong board committees that engage in risk management and professional development opportunities.
“In a year full of uncertainty, loss, and injustice, nonprofit organizations have demonstrated new levels of dedication, creativity, and grit,” Nonprofit New York President and CEO Meg Barnette said via a statement. “We are thrilled to have an opportunity to applaud the excellent management and governance practices demonstrated by these recognized organizations,” she said.
For more information about the awards and key areas of nonprofit excellence, visit www.nonprofitnewyork.org