Eight nonprofits are among the Harris Poll’s brands of the year. The organizations were identified during the Harris Poll’s 28th annual EquiTrend Study, which identifies the strongest brands in nearly 100 categories ranging from entertainment to automotive to restaurants.
“Consumers form impressions of brands long before they ever use them, based on their perceptions and what they may know from trusted sources,” said Joan Sinopoli, vice president of brand solutions at Nielsen, which owns the Harris Poll.
The categories and organizations recognized in the study are:
- Animal-Welfare Nonprofit – Best Friends Animal Society, Kanab, Utah;
- Disability Nonprofit – Special Olympics, Washington, D.C.;
- Disabled Veterans Association – Wounded Warrior Project, Jacksonville, Fla.;
- Environmental Nonprofit – Wildlife Conservation Society, Bronx, N.Y.;
- Health Nonprofit – St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenn.;
- International-Aid Nonprofit – Food For The Poor, Coconut Creek, Fla.;
- Social-Services Nonprofit – Habitat for Humanity, Atlanta, Ga.; and,
- Youth Nonprofit – Girl Scouts of the USA, New York, N.Y.
“From its inception in 1984, Best Friends Animals Society has always put a high value on integrity and connecting with its members,” said Gregory Castle, CEO of Best Friends Animal Society in a release. “It is gratifying to be recognized for these qualities by one of the world’s leading market research firms.”
The EquiTrend Study evaluates brands on familiarity, quality and purchase consideration – donation likelihood in the case of nonprofits. More than 97,000 American consumers ages 15 and over were surveyed online, each rating a random selection of 40 out of 3,837 evaluated brands, according to a release. Each brand received roughly 1,000 ratings.
Data collected was weighted to be representative of the entire U.S. population of consumers ages 15 and over based on gender, education, race, ethnicity, region and income. Respondents over the age of 18 were also weighted for their propensity to be online.
To view the full list, visit http://www.theharrispoll.com/business/2016-Brands-of-the-Year.html.