News & Articles
Disaster relief organizations around the country are deploying resources to Moore, Okla., after the city was devastated by a two-mile wide tornado, killing a reported 24 people so far and felling two elementary schools and a hospital. Initial estimates of as many as 51 dead included some who were counted twice, according to reports.
Despite growing interest and rising awareness, foundations have generally been slow to adopt program-related investments (PRIs) as vehicles for charitable purposes. During the past two decades, less than one percent of U.S. foundations made PRIs each year, according to a new report from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.
New Jersey Symphony Orchestra (NJSO) culminated a four-year capital campaign this past June, raising $35.8 million, some 12 percent more than its original $32 million goal, despite the worst economy since the Great Depression.
The American Lung Association (ALA) has eliminated 24 positions from its national staff of 71. The cuts come in an effort to shore up a $4 million operating deficit from the Washington, D.C.-based organization’s $55 million 2013 budget. Positions have been eliminated in the ALA’s Washington, D.C., and New York City offices.
The 28th annual AIDS Walk New York (AWNY) brought a crowd of 30,000 participants to Central Park in New York City through non-stop rain on Sunday. Dozens of corporate sponsors, hundreds of corporate teams, and tens of thousands of individual walkers collectively raised $5.5 million for the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Internal Revenue Service Interim Commissioner Steven Miller, who at one time headed the IRS’s Exempt Organizations Division, resigned when asked to step down by U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew. He will leave the job next month.
An actor who can play equally well Prospero, Willy Loman, and Felix Unger or Lady Macbeth, Amanda Wingfield, and Lady Bracknell, is highly valued by any theatre company. Likewise, grant writers who can flawlessly execute diverse roles bring real value to their nonprofits.
When E.F. Hutton spoke, everyone stopped to listen. At least that’s what the iconic 1980s television ad campaign would have you believe.
Nonprofits and activists have always had a fairly healthy relationship. The same can’t be said of corporations, which are usually a favorite target of grassroots movements. While some corporations might be reluctant to change, a new report from Future 500 indicates that a series of issues will force them to partner with nonprofits to adapt to a changing environment.
Nonprofit fundraisers in the UK recently had their own “binders full of women” backlash on social media. Veteran UK fundraiser Giles Pegram, CBE, co-organizer of a conference on the future of fundraising scheduled for April, reportedly tweeted “women are still not adequately engaged in the thinking in fundraising,” according to the Civil Society UK website.
- NonProfitTimes: RT @NYCouncilNPs : Doug Sauer, our CEO, testifies tomorrow at the Pulbic Hearing on proposed changes to the Nonprofit Inc. Law in... http://…
- NonProfitTimes: New featured #nonprofitjob via @nptjobs Head of Finance, Administration, and Operations http://t.co/vV8eo93OOm #jobsearch
- NonProfitTimes: Disaster Relief Groups Respond For #Oklahoma http://t.co/jSjBJdjNgf #nonprofit
- NonProfitTimes: Foundations Not Making Many Program-Related Investments http://t.co/8VA6gYmvS5 #nonprofit #news
- DJIA 15387.58 +52.30 0.34%
- S&P 1669.16 +2.87 0.17%
- Nasdaq 3502.12 +5.69 0.16%
Current Print Edition
May 15, 2013Table Of Contents
Vol 27 No. 7
In The News
Participate in the 2013 Salary and Benefits Survey
- Learn About Our Salary and Benefits Reports
Accounting Software Special Report 2013
Presented by Serenic Software
- Check Out The NPT Blog For News And Tips!
- The 2011 Giving USA Report
- NPT's Power and Influence Top 50
- Subscribe to Free NPT E-Newsletters
- The NonProfit Times' 50 BEST NONPROFITS TO WORK FOR 2013
- The NPT 100 2012
- NPT's Top 100 Nonprofits Report
- Subscribe to The NonProfit Times print or Digital editions
- 2012 Nonprofit Salary & Benefits Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations New York State Salary and Benefits Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Salary Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Top Executive Positions Salary and Special Perks Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Benefits Report
- Purchase 2011 Back issues of Print Magazine
- Purchase 2010 Back issues of Print Magazine