For many people, the word “fraud’ conjures images of a guy with a pasted-on smile trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge. Nonprofit managers have learned, however, that fraud can occur in many forms, and often this educational experience is a bitter one.
When income equals out-flow, then the budget’s in balance. It’s so simple to consider, so difficult to maintain.
The mission is a noble one: helping people somewhere, or everywhere, making the world a better place. It’s the getting from the idea to the achievement that can be a problem.
Return to sender. If there is a donation inside, that’s exactly what nonprofits want. It’s when it isn’t returned to sender that there is a problem.
For many nonprofit leaders, the answer to the question of how much money is enough to have in reserve is pointless – there is no such thing as enough.
Tiffany Circle might sound like the name of the latest teen celebrity who has made the tabloid headlines for exposing every tawdry detail of her life, but in fact it is an effective fundraising volunteer group.
Nonprofit leaders, finding that there are not enough hours in the day, know that in order to get anything done they must prioritize.
The general wisdom in nonprofit fundraising is that diversification is the key to success. In an article that appeared in the “Stanford Social Innovation Review” and was reprinted by the Bridgespan Group in “Getting Results in Nonprofits and Philanthropy,” William Foster and Gail Fine Perreault argue that there are natural matches between many nonprofits and funding sources and that nonprofit leaders need to be attuned to dominant sources.
Board members volunteer their time and donate their money, but are they just going through the motions?
Be reasonable. Do it my way. Most leaders who have been successful have done so with their own leadership style. What works in the beginning might not last forever, though, and even a successful style can rub underlings the wrong way.
Current Print Edition
December 2, 2013Table Of Contents
See what you are missing in this issue…
In The News
Featured VideoView More Videos
- Learn About Our Salary and Benefits Reports
Accounting Software Special Report 2013
Presented by Serenic Software
- Check Out The NPT Blog For News And Tips!
- The 2011 Giving USA Report
- NPT's Power and Influence Top 50
- Subscribe to Free NPT E-Newsletters
- The NonProfit Times' 50 Best Nonprofits To Work For 2013
- The NPT 100 2013
- Subscribe to The NonProfit Times print or Digital editions
- 2012 Nonprofit Salary & Benefits Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations New York State Salary and Benefits Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Salary Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Top Executive Positions Salary and Special Perks Report
- 2012 Nonprofit Organizations Benefits Report
- Purchase 2011 Back issues of Print Magazine
- Purchase 2010 Back issues of Print Magazine