Know yourself, then work on your career
July 1, 2013 The NonProfit Times
Leading others isn’t always easy, since “leading” means more than just telling people to get in line and follow. Part of the term also includes bringing out the best in people.
In her book “Brilliance by Design,” Vicki Halsey makes the case that bringing out the best in people has much to do with being a teacher, and further than teaching involved a dimension of self-awareness. Knowing who you are helps a lot when trying to know about and teach others.
Halsey recommends taking the following quiz once a year, and taking the time to really think about the questions and your responses to them. They can help in connecting with others.
- Who am I?
- What is important to me?
- What are my gifts and strengths?
- What are some areas that need improvement?
- What inspires and motivates me?
- What are my goals/What do I want to achieve?
- What are barriers to my goals?
- What are my passions?
- What is my purpose?
- What energizes me?
- What do I need to sustain my passion, my purpose, my energy?
- What have I done recently that makes me happy?
- How could I do more of that?
- What has become clearer to me after answering that question?
- How do I best learn?