Awareness campaigns can be a challenge
September 16, 2014 The NonProfit Times
Very often, the success of a nonprofit organization rests on public awareness of the cause that the organization is seeking to address.
People can’t donate to an organization or cause that they are not even aware of, and making them aware can present a huge challenge. It can be an enormous help if a celebrity takes on a cause as his/her own, not only because a celebrity can make a direct financial contribution but also because an organization’s or cause’s status can rise in direct relation to that of the famous person.
In “A Random Book About the Power of Anyone,” Talia Y. Leman offers tips about running an awareness campaign. Leman maintains that a successful awareness campaign does the following:
- Ignites from a strong emotion;
- Establishes personal value/purpose for the organizers;
- Ties process to the outcome;
- Grabs attention at the launch;
- Captures imagination along the way;
- Focuses on passion more than leader(s);
- Designs it to spread;
- Makes followers matter;
- Ends with a big goal; and,
- Creates a measurable difference.