7 things to be included in board “vision”
May 21, 2015 The NonProfit Times
Are your board members visionaries? They should be, said Roxanna Trivitt and Jean Anne Zappa of Shively Area Ministries. Board members are the ones with the 30,000-foot view of your organization. They’re the ones who can look down the road to where the organization and its mission will be five, 10, or 20 years from now.
Trivitt and Zappa presented a session during the 2014 National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC) conference in Chicago. They described the essential responsibilities of the board through three methods of sight: insight, oversight and foresight.
Boards are responsible for:
- Advocating for the mission (insight);
- Fiduciary matters and policy making (oversight);
- Strategic planning (foresight);
- Visioning (foresight);
- Hiring and evaluating the CEO (oversight);
- Wisdom, wit and wealth (insight); and,
- Supporting development efforts (insight).